Sunday, October 25, 2009

Shred Shred Shred

After a great Zion I concert at Belly Up (albeit with half of Aspen high school), Marty and I rallied to get our first lift-served skiing on at A-Basin. While laps took about 45 minutes with most of Summit County in the lift lines, there were two white ribbons of death to choose from and a decent jib park, with plenty of beater snowboarders eating shit really hard on the picnic table.

While I got more of a workout standing in line than I did skiing, it was great to be back on the shredsticks, dodging gapers and trying to remember my few box tricks. Best first full day I've had in a long long time, and while I exposed my park skis to some barely-exposed rocks on a lil slash on the side of the trail, any day those skis don't come off with the bindings unreleased and fly down the hill and nearly kill someone is a good one. Marty even got his Taco Bell fix on, and couldn't figure out why anyone would have digestive problems after eating a mexican pizza, a gordita and nochas with refried beans on them... all from T'Bell.

At any rate, I didn't take any photos because my batteries were dead... and there wouldn't have been much to show anyway.

To replace that, I bring you this Travis Rice seggie, with more typical Travis Rice video-game snwoboarding:


Snowboarding's fun to follow to get an idea of the culture and and organization of the other brand of shred-heads on the hill, and gives you an idea of where skiing might go, as skiing seems to be about three years behind snowboarding in terms of the maturity of the culture and the diversity of styles, riders, and companies out there. And snowboarding is about five or so years (at least) behind skateboarding, which everyone knows reigns as the coolest action sport.

J.P. Walker, who started having some of the best video parts in snowboarding since the Forum video, True Life, back in '02. or probably even earlier than that. Anyway, J.P. got bored with doing every kind of jib video part possible, so last season he committed to doing his whole video part switch. Every takeoff, and most of the landings, are switch, and it would still be crazy if he were riding regular. J.P. had this to say:

"After I got through all my handrail filming I was pretty sure it was going to be sick. With all the rail footy switch I couldn't really turn back. I don't think I hit anything regular in the backcountry at all, even to warm up."

say word...:


No comments:

Post a Comment